6.05.2011

Sometimes It Happens || Lauren Barnholdt

Book: Sometimes It Happens
Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Pages: 320
Expected Publication: July 12th, 2011
Source: Simon & Schuster

Summary: And just when you thought high school drama couldn't get any more complicated, it does. Sometimes It Happens revolves around 17-year-old Hannah Kaplan who starts out her first day of senior year in an emotional wreck. She's got no friends, she's in the bathroom crying, and the sophomore her ex-boyfriend cheated with is sitting next to her in history class. All the mistakes she made during the summer are finally catching up to her.

Review: Lauren Barnholdt did a fantastic job re-constructing the typical problems Senior year. I particularly enjoyed it because it was down to earth, and most of all, realistic! Most high school chick lit books involve someone super popular, super hot, and super bitchy. This story had none of that! It was just a couple of close friends who made a few mistakes and are desperately try to fix it. There's the usual love triangle and a whole lot of dishonesty, but in the end, "sometimes it happens."

Again, this was another book I thumbed through pretty quickly. It's not that there was anything spectacular to keep me on edge, but the emotions and reactions were just so real! There was nothing "fake" about it. Overall, Sometimes it Happens makes for an entertaining read on the beach. It's honest, real, and takes you on an emotional roller coaster. 

Rate & Recommend?  I'll grant this story a 3/5. If typical high school drama is your cup of tea, then go for it! Although there was nothing that "wowed" me about this story, I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Listening to the convincing dialogue and scenario had me feeling like I was wrapped up in the drama too!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the cover! I may check this one out.

    I picked your blog for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award! Check it out here! :o)

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book. Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete