6.16.2011

Entwined || Heather Dixon


Book: Entwined
Author: Heather Dixon
Pages 480
Rating 4/5

This story takes me back to my fairytale reading days! Every little girl, at one point, has envisioned herself living the luxurious life of a princess and attending glamorous dances alongside a perfect gentleman. Entwined encapsulated a beautiful vision alongside dark and misleading magics. The concept of the story was brilliant, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading a fresh new take on the 12 dancing princesses. It was more creative than I expected, but I felt that a few elements were lacking. For example, even after 400 pages, I couldn't find myself empathizing alongside heroine. She was definitely strong and determined, but after reading about so many characters similar to her, I didn't find anything special or different. The same goes with the other string of characters. For such a drawn-out book, I feel that the author could have added more depth to all of Azalea's sisters. They are as much involved in the plot as she is, but all their personalities felt one-dimensional. Additionally, I didn't feel satisfied with the romance! I'm no fan of cliche endings, but having a prince come and sweep the princess off her feet is a MUST in a fairytale. Azalea and Bradford seemed shy and cautious around each other, and I wished for them to have a more passionate romance than just the rare peck on the cheek. Also, I was a bit confused at first about the entire fact that they were all princesses, but living very frugally. It didn't make sense to me that other lower ranking characters would be more wealthy than the King...

Despite the somewhat confusing terminology and almost depth-less characters, I felt that Entwined was a creative and entertaining read! I love fairytale-type novels, and Entwined was a wonderful one! Not to mention, that the cover is absolutely stunning!

8 comments:

  1. I still haven't read this one!!! I really want to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover is gorgeous and I like the concept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -This was a good book! One of my favorites. :] Thanks for the honest review! ♥

    x
    Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. This has been on my TBR list for awhile now. It sounds like it's not going to be a favorite, but I think I'll still pick it up at some point :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I have been wanting to read this book for a while now. :) Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Review! I have been planning on reading this for some time, but have never gotten around to it. Your review makes me want to go buy it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cover! I love those fairy tale types. gotta read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book because it brought together all the ideas of true fantasy. Princes, princess, magic, wonderlands, secret passageways and to top it off a heroine that you would to be. The author does such a terrific job defining the characters and making them stand out individually, which is hard to do with so many.

    ReplyDelete